TRIO Veterans Upward Bound

Redlands Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is a free college-prep program that provides skills and advice to help qualified military veterans achieve their academic goals. The program prepares veterans to enroll in a postsecondary school (university, community college or vocational/technical programs).

VUB is funded by the U.S. Department of Education as part of the TRIO program, which serves low-income and first-generation college students. Please read our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.

Want to learn more?

How to Qualify

Veterans must meet the following criteria:

  • Reside in one of the 14 counties served by the grant: Blaine, Caddo, Canadian, Cleveland, Comanche, Garfield, Kay, Kingfisher, Kiowa, Logan, Noble, Oklahoma, Pawnee and Payne.
  • All participants must have at least 181 days of active service with better than a dishonorable discharge.
  • All participants must be either low-income (based on family income and number of dependents) or potential first generation college students (neither parent earned a 4-year degree).
  • All participants must demonstrate academic potential as well as have academic need. Not all students have the same needs. Some students require developmental coursework, while others need more help in cutting through institutional red tape.

If you are concerned about your eligibility, please contact our office and we can discuss requirements more in-depth with you.


The Veterans Upward Bound program provides:

  • Academic instruction or tutoring
  • Academic, financial aid or personal counseling
  • Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
  • Assistance in GED completion and related activities
  • Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
  • Information on post secondary education opportunities
  • Connections with other veterans agencies, associations, etc.
  • Access to continued TRIO support through Support Student Services programs across the nation
  • Family workshops and reference materials

Program Offices

Redlands Community College
Randy Reynolds, Director
Cynthia Patterson, Administrative Assistant
Krista Morris, Academic Specialist
1300 S. Country Club Rd.
El Reno, OK 73036
P: 405.422.1405
F: 405.422.6285

Oklahoma Works Center
1711 SW 11th Street
Lawton, OK 73501

Veterans Affairs Medical Center
921 NE 13th St.
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
P: 405.422.1455

Kiowa Tribe of Oklahoma
1701 W Central Blvd
Anadarko, OK 73005
P: 405.247.8856

East Central University
Mary Meeks, Director
1100 E 14th St
Ada, OK 74820
P: 580.559.5541

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Veterans Upward Bound?

Veterans Upward Bound is a free college-prep program funded by the U.S. Department of Education. This federally funded program is designed to help qualified military veterans prepare to enroll in a postsecondary school (university, community college, and vocational/technical programs). VUB provides skills and advice to enable veterans to achieve their academic goals. VUB is a part of a group of programs called TRIO programs. These programs serve low-income and first generation college students of varying ages.

Where is the Redlands Community College Veterans Upward Bound located?

RCC Veterans Upward Bound is located at the three different sites, serving a total of fourteen counties. Offices locations: El Reno, at Redlands Community College, at Caddo Kiowa Technology Center, Cameron University and Oklahoma City VA Medical Center.

Does the VUB program at the Redlands Community College only help those that want to attend Redlands?

Definitely not! We will help any qualified veteran no matter what school he or she plans to attend. We will help you choose the best program and school to fit your individual needs.

How can I enroll in Veterans Upward Bound?

Contact the RCC Veterans Upward Bound program by email at or by calling 405.422.1405.

What documentation do I need to qualify for Veterans Upward Bound?

You need to have served 181 days of continuous active duty in one of the armed services and have a discharge that is other than dishonorable. If you served in the National Guard or in the Reserves, you qualify for the program if you were mobilized to active duty for at least 181 days. Additionally, you will need your last year's federal tax return.

Does VUB provide financial aid?

No. Although all services are free to qualified students, we do not provide financial aid for college, university or technical school. We can, however, help you with the financial aid application process, as well as putting you in contact with the appropriate financial aid officials at your prospective school.

Can VUB help me choose a career or school?

Yes. Using a variety of career interest inventories, our Academic Specialist will work with you to help you determine what career field might be appropriate for you. We can also help you determine which school will best prepare you for your chosen field.

What are the benefits of attending and completing Veterans Upward Bound?

Veterans can take a college placement test in the VUB program office. The VUB staff will help you enroll or return to college, advise you on college programs and degrees available in Oklahoma, and offer personal and career counseling with professional staff. Veterans are encouraged to return to VUB for additional help and advice throughout their college career.

What must I do to qualify for VUB?

To benefit from our free educational services you must first meet a few simple eligibility requirements: All participants must have at least 181 days of active service with better than a dishonorable discharge. All participants must be either low-income (based on family income and number of dependents) or potential first generation college students (neither parent earned a 4-year degree). All participants must demonstrate academic potential as well as have academic need. If you are not sure if you qualify give us a call, we'd be glad to explain the eligibility requirements in further detail.

What can VUB do for me?

When you begin the VUB program you will work one-on-one with an academic specialist to discuss your interests and your short-term and long-term goals. Academic assessments are completed to determine your strengths and weaknesses, and then a plan is developed to help you reach your goals. Any academic weaknesses can be worked on by in-person, tutoring, or by working independently on our computer tutoring programs. Finally, we will assist you with school applications and the financial aid process. We will also help you make contacts with other agencies providing services to veterans.

How long should I plan on being in VUB before I am ready to go on to a postsecondary school?

The answer to this question depends on several factors, including current levels of preparedness, and scores on assessments and your internal drive to succeed. Some veterans may only require a meeting or two with an academic specialist before they prepare to enter post-secondary education, while others may need more academic tutoring/coaching before enrolling. Ultimately it is up to each veteran to decide when he/she is ready to enroll in the school of his/her choice.

Can VUB help me find a job?

No, but we can connect you with resources and aid in career counseling.

I'm already in college or a technology center - am I still eligible to participate in VUB?

Maybe. Our services are focused on getting participants ready to enter school, so they may not be appropriate for those already enrolled. Some schools, including RCC, have other TRIO programs that specifically serve students already enrolled. Our program does provide services to individuals who have college credit, but are not currently enrolled.

I have a question not answered on this page.

What should I do? Feel free to call us with any questions that you might have about VUB. We can be reached at 405.422.1405, or by email at