In order to help students be successful in college, several Student Success Workshops are held each quarter. Topics include Test Strategies, How to Reduce Test Anxiety, Time Management, Stress Management, Financial Aid Information, Financial Literacy, and more.
We are always looking for new topics to cover in our workshops. If you have a suggestion please email Adriana.Philipp@redlandscc.edu
Overview of Workshops
In this workshop, students will learn the importance of developing effective study habits, which are extremely necessary in a college environment. Several tips will be addressed, including:
- Attending class helps students to retain the material.
- Taking notes provides positive results (Most of the material discussed in class is forgotten within the first 24 hours if not reviewed.).
- Other topics such as critical thinking, study groups, time management, note cards, and maintaining a positive attitude are discussed.
Test Taking Strategies...
In this workshop, students will learn various strategies to assist them in becoming successful at taking tests. Several tips will be addressed, including:
- Importance of arriving early, being comfortable, and confident
- Avoiding carelessness
- Reading directions carefully
- Answering questions in a strategic order
- Proofreading for spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Reading Comprehension and Memorization...
This workshop focuses on what students need in order to improve their reading and memorization skills. Several additional tips will be addressed, including:
- Paying attention to supporting cues
- Building a good vocabulary
- Rewriting main points
- Visual Aids
Good note taking skills are important for effective time management. This workshop offers tips on:
- Avoiding distractions
- Communicating with the instructor
Time is always an issue. Scheduling and managing time wisely are important factors to obtaining good grades. In this workshop, the following tips are addressed:
- The Three Keys to Time Management (remembering, setting priorities, and motivation)
- "Best Time" for studying
- Conducive Surroundings
This workshop focuses on the underlying behavior, which arouses and maintains activity. Self Motivation determines the general direction of individual behavior and is directed towards goals.
- Goals - Anticipated rewards toward which motives are directed
- Intrinsic Motivators - Pursuit of activities when there are no external rewards
- Extrinsic Motivators - Money, recognition, work environment....
The job market is becoming more competitive and demanding for today's job seeker. It is more challenging than ever to find the type of job one desires and receive the pay that is advantageous to your lifestyle. The job skills and interviewing techniques workshop addresses basic job readiness skills required as well as key characteristics the employer looks for in an employee. In this workshop, you will also become familiar with some of the transferable, core, fundamental, and job specific skills which are needed prior to being hired. The reasons employers generally report for hiring and not hiring applicants will also be addressed. A few of the reasons for not hiring include: low academic achievement, lack of confidence, and lack of preparation for the interview. Additionally, some of the reasons employers hire applicants include: academic excellence, positive attitude, and confidence.
If you are interested in learning about these topics, check out the job skills and interviewing techniques workshop. Remember, it's your future, why waste it?
TRiO Support Student Services Main Page
Academic Advisement & Enrollment
Developmental Math & College Level Math Courses
Financial Aid Counseling
Special Workshops & Seminars
Cultural Events & Activities
Meet Our Staff