Established by Mr. Leon Wayland in memory of Ms. Lyons, who was a member of Chapter AE, P.E.O. She was a longtime resident of El Reno who had an intense interest in journalism, commercial art, and the fine arts in general.
The following guidelines have been established to qualify for the Marie West Lyons Scholarship:
- Must be a graduate of the high school or high schools in the El Reno School District.
- Award will be limited to students enrolling in either fine arts or journalism curriculum.
- Amount of the award may be applied toward the cost of tuition, books and fees.
- Application must be accompanied by a high school and/or college transcript.
- Two letters of recommendation, written by people who know the applicant’s potential but who are unrelated to the applicant by blood or marriage, must accompany the application.
- Athletic achievements are not considered in the applicant’s resume.
- The scholarship award must be claimed and used during the academic year (excluding summer terms) immediately following selection; one-half of the award to be applied to fall semester expenses and one-half to spring semester expenses.
- During the term of the award, recipient must enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester, a minimum of three (3) hours fulfilling Journalism or Arts Curriculum Program Requirements as published in the current Redlands Community College Catalog.
- Any unused portion of the scholarship funds, after authorized expenses are paid, will be returned to the Marie West Lyons Scholarship Fund in care of the Redlands Community College Foundation, Inc.
- This scholarship is funded on an annual basis. Funding is contingent upon availability of funds.
- Application Deadline: March 1