Redlands Home Page


Click to open my.REDLANDScc!

What is Veterans Upward Bound?
Veterans Upward Bound is a free college-prep program funded by the U.S. Department of Education. This federally funded program is designed to help qualified military veterans prepare to enroll in a postsecondary school (university, community college, and vocational/technical programs). VUB provides skills and advice to enable veterans to achieve their academic goals.  VUB is a part of a group of programs called TRiO programs. These programs serve low-income and first generation college students of varying ages.

Where is the Redlands Community College Veterans Upward Bound located?
RCC Veterans Upward Bound is located at the three different sites, serving a total of nine counties.  Offices locations: El Reno, at Redlands Community College serving Canadian, Kingfisher & Logan Counties · Enid, at Autry Technology Center serving Garfield, Kay & Payne Counties · Ft. Cobb, at Caddo Kiowa Technology Center serving Blaine, Caddo & Kiowa Counties 

Does the VUB program at the Redlands Community College only help those that want to attend Redlands?
Definitely not! We will help any qualified veteran no matter what school he or she plans to attend. We will help you choose the best program and school to fit your individual needs.  

How can I enroll in Veterans Upward Bound?
Contact the RCC Veterans Upward Bound program by email at or by calling (405) 422-1405.

What documentation do I need to qualify for Veterans Upward Bound?
You must provide your DD214 or other documents that identify you as a veteran. You need to have served 181 days of continuous active duty in one of the armed services and have a discharge that is other than dishonorable. If you served in the National Guard or in the Reserves, you qualify for the program if you were mobilized to active duty for at least 181 days.

Do VUB classes cost anything to attend?
NO! All VUB classes, books, and supplies are FREE to qualified veterans.

Does VUB provide financial aid? 
No.  Although all services, including our academic refresher classes, are free to qualified students, we do not provide financial aid for college, university or technical school.  We can, however, help you with the financial aid application process, as well as putting you in contact with the appropriate financial aid officials at your prospective school.

Can VUB help me choose a career or school? 
Yes. Using a variety of career interest inventories, our Academic Advisors will work with you to help you determine what career field might be appropriate for you. We can also help you determine which school will best prepare you for your chosen field.

What are the benefits of attending and completing Veterans Upward Bound? 
Veterans Upward Bound provides classes in math, writing, and reading that prepare you for college-level work with professional instructors... Veterans can take a college placement test in the VUB program... The VUB staff will help you enroll or return to college... The VUB staff will advise you on college programs and degrees available in Oklahoma... VUB offers personal and career counseling with professional staff... Veterans are encouraged to return to VUB for additional help and advice throughout their college career.

What must I do to qualify for VUB?
To benefit from our FREE educational services you must first meet a few simple eligibility requirements: All participants must have at least 181 days of active service with better than a dishonorable discharge.  All participants must be either low-income (based on family income and number of dependants) or potential first generation college students (neither parent earned a 4-year degree). All participants must demonstrate academic potential as well as have academic need. Not all students have the same needs. Some students require developmental coursework, while others need more help in cutting through university red tape. If you are not sure if you qualify give us a call, we'd be glad to explain the eligibility requirements in further detail. Two-thirds (66.6%) of the participants must be BOTH low-income AND potential first generation college students.

What will VUB do for me? 
When you begin the VUB program you will work one-on-one with an academic advisor to discuss your interests and your short-term and long-term goals. Academic assessments are completed to determine your strengths and weaknesses, and then a plan is developed to help you reach your goals. Any academic weaknesses can be worked on by attending our FREE academic refresher courses, tutoring, or by working independently on our computer tutoring programs. Finally, we will assist you with school applications and the financial aid process. We will also help you make contacts with other agencies providing services to veterans.

How long should I plan on being in VUB before I am ready to go on to a postsecondary school? 
The answer to this question depends on several factors, including your high school preparedness, your VUB assessment test scores and your internal drive to succeed. Do not shortchange yourself by planning to be in VUB for just a few weeks. While some students may only require minimal work, others will want to attend classes for a longer period of time. The staff can advise you as to how long you might want to spend in our classes. The staff will also advise you of when you are ready to move on to your chosen school.

Can VUB help me find a job? 
No. However, we do offer career counseling and resume development. 

I'm already in college or a technology center - am I still eligible to participate in VUB? 
Maybe. Our services are focused on getting participants ready to enter school, so they may not be appropriate for those already enrolled. Some schools, including RCC, have other TRIO programs that specifically serve students already enrolled. Our program does provide services to individuals who have college credit, but are not currently enrolled.

I have a question not answered on this page.
What should I do?  Feel free to call us with any questions that you might have about VUB. We can be reached at (405) 422-1405, or by email at

Main Page         Program Offices           Services          Service Providers