We want to help you succeed, and part of your success as a college student depends on enrolling in courses that match your abilities and skills. You may need to take course placement testing if you do not meet required entry-level skills or prerequisites for college-level English and/or math courses.
Redlands Community College uses ACCUPLACER®, a computerized assessment tool that identifies a student’s English, arithmetic and algebraic skills. Our assessment is only open to students who have submitted their application and intend to enroll at Redlands Community College.
For more information, call 405.422.6274 or email email@example.com.
Fall and Spring semesters: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday
Summer semester: 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Thursday
There are three math assessments, and your test will be determined by the degree you are pursuing.
The Arithmetic Test has three types of questions:
- Operations with whole numbers and fractions, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, recognizing equivalent fractions and mixed numbers, and estimating
- Operations with decimals and percentages, including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with decimals, percent problems, recognition of decimals, fraction and percent equivalencies, estimation
- Applications and Problem Solving, including rate, percent, measurement problems, simple geometry and distribution of a quantity into its fractional parts
The Elementary Algebra Test has three types of questions:
- Integers and rational numbers, computation with integers and negative rationals, the use of absolute values, ordering
- Operations with algebraic expressions using evaluation of simple formulas and expressions; adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing monomials and polynomials; evaluation of positive rational roots and exponents, simplifying algebraic fractions, factoring.
- Solution of equations, inequalities, and word problems; solving linear equations and inequalities; solution of quadratic equations by factoring; verbal problems in an algebraic context, geometric reasoning and graphing; the translation of written phrases into algebraic expressions.
The College Level Math Test assesses intermediate algebra through pre-calculus, including:
- Algebraic operations: simplifying rational algebraic expressions, factoring, expanding polynomials, manipulating roots and exponents.
- Solutions of equations: solution of linear and quadratic equations and inequalities, equation systems, other algebraic equations.
- Coordinate geometry: plane geometry, the coordinate plane, straight lines, conics, sets of points in the plane, graphs of algebraic functions.
- Applications and other algebra topics: complex numbers, series and sequences, determinants, permutations and combinations, fractions, word problems.
- Functions and trigonometry: polynomials, algebraic, exponential, logarithmic and trigonometric functions.
Reading & Writing Assessment
The Accuplacer English placement test has two parts: Sentence Skills, and Reading Comprehension.
Each part consists of 20 questions. The test is not timed but may take approximately one hour. The Sentence Skills test measures your ability to correct sentences by substituting a word or phrase underlined in the sentence. It will also ask you to specifically rewrite sentences without changing the meaning. Reading Comprehension measures your analytical and comprehensive reading skills and your ability to apply what you have read. View Accuplacer test descriptions and samples.