Child Development – Certificate of Mastery

General Requirements: Total Hours: 18 • Minimum GPA: 2.0

Program Description: The Certificate of Mastery in Child Development allows students to obtain specialized training that can lead to the educational requirements for a CDA credential or to fulfill the requirements for the Department of Human Services professional development. Certificate completers are able to meet the specific needs of children and work with parents and other adults to nurture children’s physical, social, emotional, and intellectual growth in a child development framework.

Specialized Program Requirements: 18 hours

Area Min. Hours Courses    
Communications 3 ENGL 1113

English Composition I

Child Development 15 CD 2023

Nutrition, Health and Safety for Children

    CD 2043

Parent and Community Relations

    CD 2053

Child Growth and Development

    CD 2063

Behavior and Guidance of Young Children

    CD 2073

Music, Movement and Creative Arts

    CD 2103

Education and Services for Children with Special

    CD 2183

Language and Social Skills for Children

    CD 2203

Early Childhood Education Program Planning and Eval.

    CD 2223

Professionalism in Child Development Needs

    CD 2233

Assessment and Eval. of Child Growth and Development


Gainful Employment Information

Certificate of Mastery in Child Development

21-1021.00 - Child, Family, and School Social Workers - Provide social services and assistance to improve the social and psychological functioning of children and their families and to maximize the family well-being and the academic functioning of children. May assist parents, arrange adoptions, and find foster homes for abandoned or abused children. In schools, they address such problems as teenage pregnancy, misbehavior, and truancy. May also advise teachers.

Sample of reported job titles: School Social Worker, Family Service Worker, Case Manager, Foster Care Social Worker, Social Worker, Family Protection Specialist, Youth Services Specialist, Case Worker, Caseworker, Child Protective Services Social Worker (CPS Social Worker)